Team Vitamin Owl
Questions, wishes or suggestions? Simply contact us by e-mail or on Facebook.
1. can a folic acid deficiency cause weight gain?
A deficiency of folic acid is usually shown in the blood count. If the body does not receive an adequate supply of folic acid, it has to resort to small amounts of folic acid from the stores. If this is used up, it can lead to anaemia. However, there is no evidence that a folic acid deficiency promotes weight gain. If women take folic acid before their pregnancy, they think that folic acid makes them gain weight. However, the weight gain is due to the water retention caused by the cycles. An interaction with other drugs that could lead to weight gain is also unknown.
2 What is folic acid?
Folic acid is a vital vitamin. The human organism cannot produce the vitamin itself. In medicine, folic acid is also known as folate or vitamin 9. Folic acid is essential for the production of genetic material and the formation of blood cells. For this reason, folic acid should be taken in daily through a healthy and balanced diet. A folic acid deficiency can lead to anaemia in rare cases. To remedy a folic acid deficiency, folic acid can be supplemented in the form of food supplements.
3 What does the body need folic acid for?
Folic acid is involved in many different processes in the human organism:
- Production of red and white blood cells
- Production of the genetic material
- Degradation of the acid homocysteine
- Production of strong skin and hair
- mucous membrane formation
- healthy cell growth
4. in which foods is folic acid contained?
TOP 10 foods with a high folic acid content: (µg per 100 g)
- 1. chick peas 340 µg
- 2. wheat germs 300 µg
- 3. soya beans 200 µg
- 4. kale 190 µg
- 5. seaweed 180 µg
- 6. peas 150 µg
- 7. mung beans 140 µg
- 8. peanuts 125 µg
- 9. cress 110 µg
- 10. sunflower seeds 100 µg
Vitamin Owl® Folic acid capsules
In our online shop you will find our folic acid capsules from Vitamineule®, which are completely free of artificial additives. Vitamineule® Folic acid capsules contain 800 µg of pure folic acid per capsule. Each can contains 90 capsules. Besides fast & free shipping, we offer a voluntary six-month return guarantee for all products.
5. conclusion: Can a folic acid deficiency cause weight gain?
A folic acid deficiency cannot cause weight gain. It is often confused with water retention during the cycle. No other interactions between folic acid and medication are known. Normally, folic acid should be absorbed by the body on a daily basis. As many people nowadays unfortunately no longer eat a balanced and varied diet, a folic acid deficiency often develops. This can cause anaemia. It can therefore be very useful to supplement folic acid in the form of food supplements. These are available in the form of folic acid capsules and folic acid tablets.
- Folic acid and vitamin B12 determination in the assessment of cognitive disorders : Overview and data analysis from a university outpatient memory clinic
- [A two-faced vitamin : Folic acid - prevention or promotion of colon cancer?]
- [Folic acid supplementation--voluntary enrichment of different foodstuffs or mandatory fortification of a single staple food?]
- [Folate against hyperhomocysteinemia. A new approach for the prevention and therapy of alcoholism-associated disorders?]
- [Is periconceptional use of folic acid associated with a reduced risk of cleft lip with or without cleft palate?]
- [Safety aspects of folic acid for the general population]
- [Folic Acid Intake Among Women in Berlin According to Their Socio-Economic Status]